Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Incredible.

I know the main focus of this blog is to learn more about nutrition, but I have to slightly stray because I found an INCREDIBLE recipe that needs to be shared, especially with chocolate lovers. Now, having said that, this recipe is still health conscious, so don't worry!

A little story before I spill - I volunteered to make a snack for the next meeting of a group I'm involved with. I wanted a recipe that is easy to make, tastes great and doesn't leave me feeling guilty. I know that dark chocolate is very good for the body, and is even suggested to have often in your diet. I'm not sure of all it's benefits (hey, good idea for a blog!), but I do know that cocoa powder is loaded with antioxidants and is low in fat. So who did I turn to but Ellie Krieger! Enjoy the recipe and make often.


Triple Chocolate Cookies
Ingredients: 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) of unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (or regular whole-wheat flour)
1/4 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
2 ounces good quality dark chocolate (60-70%), coarsely chopped
2 ounces milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
2/3 cup pecans (optional)

Directions: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, mash together the butter and sugars with a fork until well combined. Add the oil and egg and beat until creamy. Mix in the vanilla.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, cocoa, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Stir in both chocolates and, if desired, the pecans, and mix well. Using a tablespoon, scoop the batter onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until the cookies are just set (about 12 minutes).
Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool. Store the cookies at room temperature in airtight container, where they will keep up to four days.

- Makes 24 cookies
- Per serving: 11o calories, 6 grams total fat, 2 grams monosaturated fats, 1 gram polysaturated fat, 2.5 grams of saturated fats, 1 gram protein, 13 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram fiber

(Recipe taken from Ellie Krieger's only cookbook, The Food You Crave)

No comments:

Post a Comment